Tuesday, March 5, 2013

FREE Star Pencil Clipart and Read Across America Day Decor!

I will take advantage of any excuse to celebrate and have cake.....or have any kind of food in general. Even more- I'll take advantage of any excuse to decorate my classroom :)

My school celebrated Read Across America and Dr. Seuss's birthday on Monday with lots of birthday festivities. At our school-wide assembly, the teachers put on a fun play for the kiddos. I am not an actor.  Yes, I have been known to sing and do some dances while I teach (anything to clarify those concepts, right!?) But my performing stops at the classroom level...haha So I strategically volunteered to design and make the set for the play so my job was done-zo before 500 kids packed the gym. Costumes and performing....not my thing. 

After overcoming a few challenges such as the helium shortage in my town, a few mechanical problems with the cherry picker to hang decorations from the ceiling... (apparently you have to charge those machines...who knew? :) everything did come together and it turned out well- thanks to a lot of help from my friends! Here is as peek at the birthday decor....


My vision for this birthday celebration also included a confetti cannon that would shoot a blast of confetti in the air out the top of the birthday cake (which is made out of a covered piece of scaffolding). That also means that someone would need to be up IN the scaffolding inside the cake to shoot it off... so I actually spent the whole play sitting up at the top of the birthday with confetti cannons. 

Here's my view :)


That is our district photographer in the corner, so I am hoping he captured some of the confetti in action. If he did, I will post some more pictures another day. I'm sure you will be anxiously waiting ;)

The decorations didn't stop in the gym, of course my classroom had to be "seussed" out....


And you know my monkey had to join in on the fun....


And some cute curtains and truffula trees, too!


The kiddos had so much fun! It was a nice change of pace because we are in the thick of our state testing and this day was test-free!

I have tons to post about this week, but I am learning to be more focused with my blog posts so they don't end up taking an hour to write and an hour for you to read (because I'm sure you read EVERYTHING I ramble on and on about haha). I had another FANTASTIC Dollar Tree "find" over the weekend that I will be sharing later in the week, some freebies for helping students cite evidence and new clipart sets :)

I do have a new set of star pencils- inspired by my birthday celebration decor :) This star-studded freebie is posted in my TpT store {HERE}
Alright, party's over :) I'm off to bed. Happy Hump Day tomorrow- always feels good to get to Wednesday!

4 comments:

  1. Your assembly decorations were amazing! It looks like the classes were color coded. Your classroom looks fantastic! Thanks for the clipart freebie.

    Looking From Third to Fourth

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the peek at your fantastic decorations. Smart girl, staying away from the 'live action' part of the performance! (Although I could not be up in the air!) Love your pencils, too...thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Krista!

    This might be the best Seuss-celebration ever! Love, love, love the decorations! Thanks for the pencil freebie. Your clip art is super cute :) I'm proud to be a new follower!

    Wendy

    Read with Me ABC

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love that your monkey has a hat. I couldn't find my Dr. Seuss hat this year, so my giant sock monkey just wore one of my Dr. Seuss shirts instead. :-(

    Erica
    Blooming In First

    ReplyDelete